Nepali Cucumber Salad
Before traveling to a new country, it’s a good idea to get acquainted with the local food. We created this recipe based on the popular Nepali Cucumber salad (called Kakroko Achar in Nepalese), however, we made it even healthier! Traditional Nepali cuisine uses a lot of oil and since we want you to stay healthy and fit before going on a tour with us, we made this recipe completely oil-free.
This recipe uses turmeric which is used in almost all dishes in Nepal. It has been used for centuries for its incredible health benefits, such as prevention and treatment of various cancers, anti-inflammatory properties, liver health, natural painkiller, helps with psoriasis, depression, digestive issues, and the list goes on and on.
Another widely used ingredient in Nepal is the herb cilantro (coriander). This is another super healthy and delicious ingredient. It contains a lot of Vitamin K for strong bones (that you will need on your trekking), Vitamin A and C. It is also a great addition to your diet as it helps detoxify heavy metals out of your system. It also aids the cardiovascular system and helps lower blood pressure, which are two very important health-factors to check before going to high altitudes. It has a slightly spicy ting to it, so people who aren’t familiar with it might be a bit thrown off at first but most people are absolutely in love with it. And so are we!
Cucumbers being the main ingredient in this recipe make it a great food for athletes as they have a good amount of protein and are over 95% water so they will keep your body hydrated. We love eating cucumbers in the summer and bringing them on hikes along with dates since they are such a great fast-food!
So enough of talking, let’s see how we can make this delicious, spicy, healthy, and nutritious Nepali cucumber salad.
– Oil-free, Dairy-free, Lactose-free, Gluten-free, Vegan, Raw –
- 5 small cucumbers, peeled and chopped or thinly sliced with a mandolin slicer or peeler
- Coconut meat of 2 young coconuts
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 1-2 handfuls of cilantro
- 2 tbsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chili pepper or powder
- 3 tomatoes (optional)
- More cilantro if desired, chopped
- Sesame seeds for garnish
Protein: 11 g, Carbohydrates: 45 g, Fat: 28 g, Fiber: 17 g, Water: 1 l
How to make it:
- Peel your cucumbers and either chop them or make thin slices/noodles out of them. Set aside in a bowl.
2. To make the sauce add the remaining ingredients into your blender and blend until very smooth.
3. Strain the liquid out of the prepared cucumbers and drink it 🙂
4. Mix the sauce with cucumbers, you can optionally add more cilantro if desired, and chopped tomatoes, although the original recipe doesn’t include them. (We omitted salt since we wanted this recipe to be super-healthy but you can always add some Himalayan or iodine-free salt.)
5. Serve in a bowl and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!